Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To remove something and put it in a different place.
- Mother took our plates away and came back with some fruit for us to eat.
- To remove something, either material or abstract, so that a person no longer has it.
- The teacher took my mobile phone away until the end of the lesson.
- The new law will take away some important rights from immigrant residents.
- The doctor gave me pills to take away the pain.
- To subtract or diminish something.
- If I have five apples and you take away two, how many do I have left?
2011 January 22, Ian Hughes, “Arsenal 3 - 0 Wigan”, BBC:
- But take nothing away from Arsenal, who were driven on by the brilliance of Van Persie and Fabregas and only prevented from being out of sight at half-time by the feats of Al Habsi.
- To leave a memory or impression in one's mind that you think about later.
- I took away the impression that the play was under rehearsed.
- (of a person) To make someone leave a place and go somewhere else. Usually not with the person's consent.
- The police took him away for questioning.
- I'm taking you away to the country for a rest. It's for your own good!
- (of a person) To prevent, or limit, someone from being somewhere, or from doing something.
- My job takes me away from home most weekends.
- Using the internet so much can take you away from your studies.
All senses are transitive and the object may appear before or after the particle. If the object is a pronoun, then it must be before the particle.
- (To remove something, either material or abstract, so that a person no longer has it.): deprive, divest, dispossess, fortake, strip
to remove something and put it in a different place
to remove something, either material or abstract, so that a person no longer has it
to prevent, or limit, someone from being somewhere, or from doing something
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- Five take away two is three.