Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
|Kanji in this term|
From Middle Chinese.
- a lion, Panthera leo, regarded as king of animals
- (by extension from the "king" sense) the Buddha, a Buddha
- short for 獅子舞 (shishimai), a traditional Chinese lion dance
- short for 獅子頭 (shishigashira), the lion mask traditionally worn for the lion dance
- short for 除夜の獅子 (joya no shishi, “New Year's lion”), a person dressed in costume as for a lion dance who goes door to door begging on New Year's Eve
- a guardian statue commonly found outside temples and shrines, often with a komainu statue, the tradition for which is said to have come over from the Korean peninsula
- the name of the lion dance 囃子 (hayashi, “musical accompaniment”) in various noh and kabuki plays
- the first piece of music played in a 伎楽 (gigaku) performance (more commonly spelled 師子)
Probably from Persian شیر (šir).