Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: え
- 1 Translingual
- 2 Cantonese
- 3 Japanese
- 4 Korean
- 5 Mandarin
- 6 Vietnamese
Cursive form of 止.
之 (radical 4 丿+3, 4 strokes, cangjie input 戈弓人 (INO), four-corner 30307)
- KangXi: page 82, character 4
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 125
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 1, page 43, character 1
- Unihan data for U+4E4B
之(“Jinmeiyō” kanji used for names)
- A male given name
- Sound (hangeul): 지 (revised: ji, McCune-Reischauer: chi)
- Name (hangeul): 갈 (revised: gal, McCune-Reischauer: kal)
之 (traditional and simplified, Pinyin zhī)
- Indicates that the previous word has possession of the next one. In English it functions like 's or like the word "of" but with the position of possessor and possessee switched. 的 (de) is more common but 之 is used in many set expressions.
- 1John 1.1
- Lùndào cóng qǐchū yuányǒu de shēngmìng zhī dào, jiù shì wǒmen suǒ tīngjiàn suǒ kànjiàn de, qīnyǎn kànguo, qīnshǒu mōguo de.
- That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;
- 1John 1.1
- it (classical), same as 它 (tā).
- 的 (de)