Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: hūh
- (with falling pitch) used to express amusement or subtle surprise.
- Huh! I'm sure I locked it when I left.
- Used to express doubt or confusion.
- Huh? Where did they go?
- (with rising pitch) Used to reinforce a question.
- Where were you last night? Huh?
- (Discuss(+) this sense) (slang, with falling pitch) Used either to belittle the issuer of a statement/question, or sarcastically to indicate utter agreement, and that the statement being responded to is an extreme understatement. The intonation is changed to distinguish between the two meanings - implied dullness for belittlement, and feigned surprise for utter agreement.
- (belittlement) A:"We should go to an amusement park, it would be fun." B:"Huh."
- (agreement) A""Murder is bad." B:"Huh!"
- (informal, with rising pitch) Used to indicate that one did not hear what was said.
- Huh? Could you speak up?
- (informal, with falling pitch) Used to create a tag question.
- It's getting kind of late, huh?
to express amusement or subtle surprise
expressing doubt or confusion
to reinforce a question
"I know, huh" what huh
to indicate that one didn't hear
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- The comparation forms with -ü- are Ripuarian, those with -ie- are Moselle Franconian.