Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
snare (plural snares)
- A trap made from a loop of wire, string, or leather.
- (rare) A mental or psychological trap; usually in the phrase a snare and a delusion.
- If thou retire, the Dauphin, well appointed, / Stands with the snares of war to tangle thee.
- 1719, Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe
- ...and I had now lived two years under this uneasiness, which, indeed, made my life much less comfortable than it was before, as may be well imagined by any who know what it is to live in the constant snare of the fear of man.
- (veterinary) A loop of cord used in obstetric cases, to hold or to pull a fetus from the mother animal.
- (music) A set of chains strung across the bottom of a drum to create a rattling sound.
- (music) A snare drum.
veterinary: obstetric loop
music: type of drum
- to catch or hold, especially with a loop.
- Lest that too heavenly form […] snare them.
- The mournful crocodile / With sorrow snares relenting passengers.
to catch or hold, especially with a loop
- absolute definite natural masculine form of snar.