- enPR: /stônch/, IPA(key): /stɔːntʃ/
- (some accents) enPR: /stänch/, IPA(key): /stɑːntʃ/
- Rhymes: -ɔːntʃ, -ɑːntʃ
- loyal, trustworthy, reliable, outstanding
- He's been a staunch supporter of mine through every election.
- dependable, persistent
- Without our staunch front line the enemy would have split the regiment.
loyal, trustworthy, reliable, outstanding
- (transitive) To stop the flow of (blood).
- (transitive) To stop, check, or deter an action.
- Somebody's got to staunch those press leaks!
to stop the flow of (blood)
to stop, check, or deter an action
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
The spelling staunch is more commonly used for the adjective. In contrast, stanch is more commonly used as the spelling of the verb.