- 1 English
- 2 Ewe
- 3 French
- 4 Italian
- 5 Japanese
- 6 Latin
- 7 Middle English
- 8 Portuguese
- 9 Tarantino
From Middle English seuen, sewen, siwen, from Anglo-Norman suer, siwer et al. and Old French sivre (“to follow after”) ( > French suivre), from Latin *sequere (“to follow”), from Latin sequi. Cognate with Italian seguire and Spanish seguir. Doublet of suit and Doublet of segue.
- (obsolete, transitive) To follow.
- 1485 July 31, Thomas Malory, “(please specify the chapter)”, in [Le Morte Darthur], (please specify the book number), [London]: […] [by William Caxton], OCLC 71490786; republished as H[einrich] Oskar Sommer, editor, Le Morte Darthur […], London: Published by David Nutt, […], 1889, OCLC 890162034:, Bk.XIII, Ch.iv:
- And the olde knyght seyde unto the yonge knyght, ‘Sir, swith me.’
- 1590, Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queen, III.iv:
- though oft looking backward, well she vewd, / Her selfe freed from that foster insolent, / And that it was a knight, which now her sewd, / Yet she no lesse the knight feard, then that villein rude.
- (transitive) To file a legal action against someone, generally a non-criminal action.
- (transitive) To seek by request; to make application; to petition; to entreat; to plead.
- (falconry, of a hawk) To clean (the beak, etc.).
- (nautical) To leave high and dry on shore.
- to sue a ship
- (Can we find and add a quotation of R. H. Dana, Jr to this entry?)
- (obsolete, transitive) To court.
- For quotations of use of this term, see Citations:sue.
- first-person singular present indicative of
- third-person singular present indicative of
- first-person singular present subjunctive of
- third-person singular present subjunctive of
- second-person singular imperative of
- Feminine of past participle of
- Rōmaji transcription of
- Alternative form of
- First-person singular (eu) affirmative imperative of suar
- Third-person singular (você) affirmative imperative of suar
- First-person singular (eu) negative imperative of suar
- Third-person singular (você) negative imperative of suar
- First-person singular (eu) present subjunctive of suar
- Third-person singular (ele, ela, also used with tu and você?) present subjunctive of suar
sue m (possessive) (Feminine: soje)