See also: Cruise
- 1 English
- 2 Dutch
- 3 Norwegian Bokmål
- 4 Norwegian Nynorsk
cruise (plural cruises)
- A sea or lake voyage, especially one taken for pleasure.
1898, Winston Churchill, chapter 4, in The Celebrity:
- Judge Short had gone to town, and Farrar was off for a three days' cruise up the lake. I was bitterly regretting I had not gone with him when the distant notes of a coach horn reached my ear, and I descried a four-in-hand winding its way up the inn road from the direction of Mohair.
- (aeronautics) Portion of aircraft travel at a constant airspeed and altitude between ascent and descent phases.
- (intransitive) To sail about, especially for pleasure.
1907, Robert William Chambers, chapter IX, in The Younger Set (Project Gutenberg; EBook #14852), New York, N.Y.: D. Appleton & Company, published 1 February 2005 (Project Gutenberg version), OCLC 24962326:
- He and Gerald usually challenged the rollers in a sponson canoe when Gerald was there for the weekend; or, when Lansing came down, the two took long swims seaward or cruised about in Gerald's dory, clad in their swimming-suits; and Selwyn's youth became renewed in a manner almost ridiculous, […].
- (intransitive) To travel at constant speed for maximum operating efficiency.
- (transitive) To move about an area leisurely in the hope of discovering something, or looking for custom.
- (transitive, intransitive, forestry) To inspect (forest land) for the purpose of estimating the quantity of lumber it will yield.
- (transitive, colloquial) To actively seek a romantic partner or casual sexual partner by moving about a particular area; to troll.
- (intransitive, child development) To walk while holding on to an object (stage in development of ambulation, typically occurring at 10 months).
- (intransitive, sports) To win easily and convincingly.
Germany cruised to a World Cup victory over the short-handed Australians.
to sail about
to move leisurely
child development: to walk while holding on to an object
- a cruise
- “cruise” in The Bokmål Dictionary.
- a cruise
- “cruise” in The Nynorsk Dictionary.