Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ɒtʃ
notch (plural notches)
- A V-shaped cut.
- Such a cut, used for keeping a record
- The notches in that tribe's warrior axe handles stand for killed enemies.
- An indentation.
- A mountain pass; a defile
- (informal) A level or degree.
- This car is a notch better than the other.
such a cut, used for keeping a record
level or degree
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- (transitive) To cut a notch in (something).
- (transitive) To record (a score or similar) by making notches on something.
- The tribe's hunters notch their kills by notches on each's axe's handle.
- (transitive) To join by means of notches.
- (The addition of quotations indicative of this usage is being sought): (transitive) To achieve (something).
- The team notched a pair of shutout wins on Sunday.
- 2010 October 21, “[www.portlandleader.net/articles/2010/10/21/sports/17734115.txt Panthers' football team]”, Portland Leader:
- Jenkins booted a pair of field goals, Hopkins and George Nwokoji each notched a touchdown.
to cut a notch
to record by notches