Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Appendix:Variations of "io"
Latin -ia in country names. Not original to the language, but accepted as official.
- a country named after the root, whether that is a people, person, city, or river.
- a science named after its practitioner
- (country): -ujo for countries named after their inhabitants: Anglujo (“England”) (archaic)
- (country): lando is also sometimes used for countries named after inhabitants: Svedlando = Svedio (“Sweden”)
- (science): scienco is used like a suffix with root words to form names of some sciences: vulkanoscienco = vulkanologio (“volcanology”)
-io (front vowel harmony variant -iö)
- A deverbal suffix that forms nouns from verbs or verbal stems.
- A denominal suffix that forms nouns from other nouns, adjectives, numbers or their stems.
Declension of -io (type valtio)
- continuation, strength
- state, condition
- Alternative form of -tio.