a general; (will, shall, "future tense"); ready; prepared; to get; to use
|army; military; arms|
Attestable in pre-Qin texts.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): zoeng1 gwan1
- Hakka (Sixian, PFS): chiông-kiûn
- Min Dong (BUC): ciŏng-gŭng
- Min Nan (POJ): chiong-kun / chiang-kun
- Min Dong
- Min Nan
- (Hokkien: Xiamen, Quanzhou, mainstream Taiwanese)
- (Hokkien: Zhangzhou)
Note that the character 將 here has a level-tone pronunciation (Mandarin: jiāng), not a departing-tone one (Mandarin: jiàng) as may be expected from the meaning of “general”. In fact, 將 here means "to lead", not "general".