Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- 1 English
- 2 Afrikaans
- 3 Dutch
- (uncountable) The meat from a cow, bull or other bovines.
- I love eating beef.
- (uncountable) Bovine animals.
2010 October 21, “Who's the real McCoy? Abilene's Joseph in 8 Wonders contest”, Abilene Recorder Chronicle:
- However, there were millions of head of beef roaming the plains of Texas.
- (archaic, countable, plural: beeves) A single bovine (cow or bull) being raised for its meat.
- Do you want to raise beeves?
- (slang, countable or uncountable, plural: beefs) a grudge (+ with)
- He has a beef with anyone who tells him otherwise.
- He has beef with anyone who tells him otherwise.
- (slang, uncountable) muscle, size, strength
- Put some beef into it! We've got to get the car over the bump.
- We've got to get some beef into the enforcement provisions of that law.
- (slang, uncountable) essence, content
- The beef of his paper was a long rant about government.
- (meat of a cow): cowflesh
- (meat of a cow): veal
terms derived from beef (noun)
- (intransitive) To complain.
1960, P. G. Wodehouse, Jeeves in the Offing, chapter X:
- He lost no time in bursting into speech. “Bertie! I've been hunting for you all over the place!” “I was having a chat with Swordfish in his pantry. Something wrong?” “Something wrong!” “Don't you like the Red Room?” “The Red Room!” I gathered from his manner that he had not come to beef about his sleeping accommodation. “Then what is your little trouble?”
- (transitive) To add weight or strength to, usually as beef up.
- Since you stopped running, you are really beefing out.
- (intransitive, slang) To fart.
- Ugh, who just beefed in here?
- (intransitive, slang) To feud.
- Those two are beefing right now - best you stay out of it for now.
- (intransitive, chiefly Yorkshire) To cry
- David was beefing last night after Ruth told him off
beef (not comparable)
- Being a bovine animal that is being raised for its meat.
- We bought three beef calves this morning.
- Producing or known for raising lots of beef.
- beef farms
- beef country
- Consisting of or containing beef as an ingredient.
- beef stew
being a bovine animal raised for meat
producing or raising lots of beef meat
- Alternative form of