- Cantonese (Jyutping): wu1 lou5 muk6 cai4
- Min Nan (POJ): O͘-ló͘-bo̍k-chê
- Min Nan
Unclear. Here are a few possibilities:
- 烏魯木齊: Since the Min Nan area and Ürümqi are very far apart, if someone claims to be from or went to Ürümqi, they are speaking nonsense.
- 烏漉木製: There is a type of wood called 烏漉木, which is of very bad quality. If furniture is made from it, it is made carelessly.
- 烏櫓莫濟: From 烏 (“to not have”) + 櫓 (“scull”) + 莫 (“do not”) + 濟 (“to cross a river”), literally "to not have a scull to cross a river", used figuratively to mean "to not have the main thing to do the job; to be careless".
- Min Nan
- (Hokkien: mainstream Taiwanese)
- (Hokkien: Xiamen, Quanzhou, Zhangzhou, variant in Taiwan)
- (Hokkien: variant in Taiwan)
- “Entry #6338”, in 臺灣閩南語常用詞辭典 [Dictionary of Frequently-Used Taiwan Minnan] (in Chinese and Min Nan), Ministry of Education, R.O.C., 2011.
- 大郎頭 (Da Lang) (29 July 2013), “【台語原來是這樣】 烏魯木齊”, in 自由時報 (Liberty Times Net)
- 黃恬昕 (25 June 2012), “「烏櫓莫濟」比下北京話”, in 自由時報 (Liberty Times Net)
|Kanji in this term|
- Alternative spelling of
|Hán tự in this word|