Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: 阴阳
(of weather) overcast; Yin; feminine; moon; cloudy; negative (electric.); shady
|positive (electric.); sun|
Root meaning: moonlight (dark) and sunlight (light). Yin later came to be associated with female, dark, soft, passive etc. Yang later came to be associated with male, light, hard, active etc.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): jam1 joeng4
- Hakka (Sixian, PFS): yîm-yòng
- Min Dong (BUC): ĭng-iòng
- Min Nan (POJ): im-iông / im-iâng
- Wu (Wiktionary): in hhian (T1)
- Min Dong
- Min Nan
- dark and light; yin and yang; yin-yang; ☯
Terms derived from 陰陽
- → English: yin-yang
|Kanji in this term|
|Grade: S||Grade: 3|
- yin-yang, (Yin and Yang)
- 陰陽師 (in'yōji, on'yōji or Onmyōji) "yin-yang master/teacher"
- 陰陽道 (おんみょうどう, onmyōdō) "the way of yin & yang"
|Hanja in this term|
|Hán tự in this word|