Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: 阴阳
(of weather) overcast; Yin; feminine; moon; cloudy; negative (electric.); shady
|positive (electric.); sun; male|
|Literally: “moonlight (dark) and sunlight (light)”.|
Yin later came to be associated with “female, dark, soft, passive, etc.”, and yang later came to be associated with “male, light, hard, active, etc.”.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): jam1 joeng4
- Hakka (Sixian, PFS): yîm-yòng
- Min Dong (BUC): ĭng-iòng
- Min Nan (POJ): im-iông / im-iâng
- Wu (Wiktionary): in hhian (T1)
- Min Dong
- Min Nan
- (Hokkien: Xiamen, Quanzhou, mainstream Taiwanese)
- (Hokkien: Zhangzhou)
- (Chinese philosophy) yin and yang (☯) (two opposing forces in nature)
- (figuratively) two contrasting things; antitheses
- (literary) ancient Chinese astronomy, especially the study of the movement of celestial bodies
- (literary, historical) occult arts such as astrology, divination, geomancy, etc.
- (literary, historical) yin-yang geomancer
- (abbreviation, physics) cathode and anode (陰極 and 陽極)
- → English: yin-yang, ying-yang
- → French: yin-yang
- → Portuguese: yin-yang
- → Russian: инь-ян (inʹ-jan)
|Kanji in this term|
|Grade: S||Grade: 3|
- yin-yang, (Yin and Yang)
- 陰陽師 (in'yōji, on'yōji or Onmyōji) "yin-yang master/teacher"
- 陰陽道 (おんみょうどう, onmyōdō) "the way of yin & yang"
|Hanja in this term|
|Hán tự in this word|