Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
dimension (plural dimensions)
- A single aspect of a given thing.
- A measure of spatial extent in a particular direction, such as height, width or breadth, or depth.
2012 January 1, Robert L. Dorit, “Rereading Darwin”, in American Scientist, volume 100, number 1, page 23:
- We live our lives in three dimensions for our threescore and ten allotted years. Yet every branch of contemporary science, from statistics to cosmology, alludes to processes that operate on scales outside of human experience: the millisecond and the nanometer, the eon and the light-year.
- A construct whereby objects or individuals can be distinguished.
- (geometry) The number of independent coordinates needed to specify uniquely the location of a point in a space; also, any of such independent coordinates.
- (linear algebra) The number of elements of any basis of a vector space.
- (physics) One of the physical properties that are regarded as fundamental measures of a physical quantity, such as mass, length and time.
- The dimension of velocity is length divided by time.
- (computing) Any of the independent ranges of indices in a multidimensional array.
- (science fiction, fantasy) An alternative universe or plane of existence.
- (single aspect of a thing): aspect
- (measure of spatial extent): magnitude, proportion, size, scope
- (construct whereby objects or individuals can be distinguished): attribute, property
single aspect of a thing
measure of spatial extent
construct whereby objects or individuals can be distinguished
in science fiction
Translations to be checked
to mark, cut or shape something to specified dimensions
- accusative singular of dimensio
- Genitive singular form of dimensio.
dimension f (plural dimensions)