Jump to navigation Jump to search
- entery (chiefly archaic)
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɛntɹɪ/
- (General American, Canada) enPR: ĕnʹtrē, IPA(key): /ˈɛntɹi/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɛntɹi
- Hyphenation (US): en‧try
- (uncountable) The act of entering.
- (uncountable) Permission to enter.
- Children are allowed entry only if accompanied by an adult.
- A doorway that provides a means of entering a building.
- (law) The act of taking possession.
- (insurance) The start of an insurance contract.
- (Midlands) A passageway between terraced houses that provides a means of entering a back garden or yard.
- A small room immediately inside the front door of a house or other building, often having an access to a stairway and leading on to other rooms
- A small group formed within a church, especially Episcopal, for simple dinner and fellowship, and to help facilitate new friendships
- An item in a list, such as an article in a dictionary or encyclopedia.
- A record made in a log, diary or anything similarly organized; (computing) a datum in a database.
- What does the entry for 2 August 2005 say?
- (linear algebra) A term at any position in a matrix.
- The entry in the second row and first column of this matrix is 6.
- The exhibition or depositing of a ship's papers at the customhouse, to procure licence to land goods; or the giving an account of a ship's cargo to the officer of the customs, and obtaining his permission to land the goods.
- (music) The point when a musician starts to play or sing; entrance.
- Correct: entry for children
- Not: entry to children as this means that you are entering TO (get to) a child. It is incorrect.
- (act of entering): access, enter, entrance
- (permission to enter): access, admission
- (doorway that provides a means of entering a building): entrance, ingang, way in (British)
- (passageway between terraced houses): See Thesaurus:alley
- (room just inside the front door of a building): See Thesaurus:entrance hall
- (group within a church):
- (article in a dictionary or encyclopedia): article
- (record in a log): record
- (term in a matrix): element
- (item of data in a database):
- (act of entering): departure, exit, exiting, leaving
- (doorway that provides a means of entering a building): exit, way out (British)
act of entering
permission to enter
doorway that provides a means of entering a building
legal: act of taking possession
room immediately inside the front door
article in a dictionary or encyclopedia
record in a log or in a database
term in a matrix
exhibition or depositing of a ship's papers at the customhouse