爽 (Kangxi radical 89, 爻+7, 11 strokes, cangjie input 大大大大 (KKKK), four-corner 40034, composition ⿻大㸚)
- Kangxi Dictionary: page 690, character 22
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 19746
- Dae Jaweon: page 1104, character 2
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 1, page 543, character 15
- Unihan data for U+723D
Ideogrammic compound (會意／会意): 大 + 㸚 – bright.
Schuessler (2007) compares this to Drung sraŋ (“morning”), from Proto-Tibeto-Burman *b/s-raŋ (“morning, awake, alert”) as well as Khmer ស្រាង (sraang, “to be dim / faint (of early morning light); to glimmer”). Possibly of part of an Austroasiatic word family; see 亮 (OC *raŋs) for more.
- bright; clear
- frank; straightforward
- refreshing; pleasurable; invigorating
- 太爽了！ ― Tài shuǎng le! ― This is so good!
- happy; cheerful; joyful
- (of health) well; to feel well
- to deviate; to make a mistake; to miss
- to violate; to breach; to break
- 爽約／爽约 ― shuǎngyuē ― to break an appointment
- (of food) crisp
- (Cantonese) to feel good; to enjoy one's time
- (Cantonese) feel-good; satisfying
- (Internet slang, neologism) a unit equivalent to 640 million yuan (CNY) (Used to satirize Chinese actress Zheng Shuang's annual income being as much as 640 million yuan for just acting in TV dramas. Popularized by a series of events of Zheng Shuang.)
|For pronunciation and definitions of 爽 – see 驦 (“horse”).|
(This character, 爽, is a variant form of 驦.)
(common “Jōyō” kanji)
- refreshing; reinvigorating
From Middle Chinese 爽 (MC srjangX). Recorded as Middle Korean 상 (sang) (Yale: sang) in Sinjeung Yuhap (新增類合 / 신증유합), 1576.
- (SK Standard/Seoul) IPA(key): [sʰa̠(ː)ŋ]
- Phonetic hangul: [상(ː)]
- Though still prescribed in Standard Korean, most speakers in both Koreas no longer distinguish vowel length.
爽 (eumhun 시원할 상 (siwonhal sang))
- Hanja form? of 상 (“refreshing; pleasurable; invigorating”).
- 국제퇴계학회 대구경북지부 (國際退溪學會 大邱慶北支部) (2007). Digital Hanja Dictionary, 전자사전／電子字典. 
爽: Hán Nôm readings: sảng, sửng, sượng, sững
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text