Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: 顾左右而言他
look after; take into consideration; to attend to left and right; left and right sides; both sidesand; as well as; but (not); yet (not); (shows causal relation); (shows change of state); (shows contrast)to speak; to say; talk; word he; him; other trad. (顧左右而言他) 顧 左右 而 言 他 simp. (顾左右而言他) 顾 左右 而 言 他 Literally: “to look left and right, then talk about something else”.
- to try to change the subject of a conversation; to evade the subject under discussion and talk about other affairs; to steer clear of the crucial point
- 於是，他用眼角的餘光掃視了一下四周，發現旁邊太監也紛紛向他使眼色，便顧左右而言他，用「人自然是怕鬼」的話敷衍了事。 [MSC, trad.]
- From: 2011, 余建明, 《關於地理學的100個故事》 (100 Stories of Geography), page 129
- Yúshì, tā yòng yǎnjiǎo de yúguāng sǎoshì le yīxià sìzhōu, fāxiàn pángbiān tàijiān yě fēnfēn xiàng tā shǐ yǎnsè, biàn gù zuǒyòu ér yán tā, yòng “rén zìrán shì pà guǐ” de huà fūyǎn liǎoshì. [Pinyin]
- Thus, he scanned the surroundings with his peripheral vision and discovered that the eunuch beside him kept winking at him, so he tried to dodge the question and ended the discussion perfunctorily by saying, "People are naturally afraid of ghosts."
于是，他用眼角的余光扫视了一下四周，发现旁边太监也纷纷向他使眼色，便顾左右而言他，用“人自然是怕鬼”的话敷衍了事。 [MSC, simp.]