- From the pinyin romanization of Chinese 道 (Dào, literally “the Way”) or (dào, "circuit").
- From the pinyin romanization of Chinese 刀 (dāo, literally “single-edged blade”)
- (Chinese philosophy) Alternative form of : the way of nature and/or the ideal way to live one's life.
- (historical) Synonym of : various administrative divisions of imperial and early Republican China.
- A Chinese sword with a curved, single-edged blade, primarily used for slashing and chopping
- for that reason
- Nonstandard spelling of dāo.
- Nonstandard spelling of dáo.
- Nonstandard spelling of dǎo.
- Nonstandard spelling of dào.
- English transcriptions of Mandarin speech often fail to distinguish between the critical tonal differences employed in the Mandarin language, using words such as this one without the appropriate indication of tone.
- (Hà Nội) IPA(key): [z̻aːw˧˧]
- (Huế) IPA(key): [jaːw˧˧]
- (Hồ Chí Minh City) IPA(key): [jaːw˧˧]
- Homophone: Dao; giao
- dao cạo (“razor”)