|Japanese stroke order
Japanese simplification of 圓, via a simplified character similar to 𠮚.
円 (radical 13 冂+2, 4 strokes, cangjie input 月卜 (BY) or 月中一 (BLM), composition ⿵冂丄)
- KangXi: not present, would follow page 128, character 35
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 1513
- Dae Jaweon: page 289, character 17
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 1, page 96, character 18
- Unihan data for U+5186
|For pronunciation and definitions of 円 – see 圓.
(This character, 円, is the simplified form of 圓.)
(grade 1 “Kyōiku” kanji, shinjitai kanji, kyūjitai form 圓)
(Yen) from Mandarin 圓 (yuán "circle" >"round coin") referring to the piece of eight (compare Mandarin yuán 元, Korean won 원).
円 (shinjitai kanji, kyūjitai kanji 圓, hiragana えん, rōmaji en, historical hiragana ゑん)
- (mathematics) circle
- yen (the Japanese currency)
円 (hiragana まる, rōmaji maru)
- circle, ring
円 • (en) (hangeul 엔)
- hanja for names
This is the only character whose pronunciation is from modern Japanese, not from Classical Chinese.
円 = viên