Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
|real; true; genuine||
emptied; leisure; air; sky; empty; in vain
|simp. and trad.
- Min Nan
|Kanji in this term|
- vacuum; a region of space that contains no matter; a void.
- (Japanese Buddhism) One of the 五大 (godai; "great five); also known as 天 (そら, sora) and is of particular importance as the highest of the five elements. It also represents those things that are beyond one's everyday experiences, particularly those things composed of pure energy.
- (Bodily) represents one's spirit, thought, and creative energy. It represents one's ability to think and to communicate, as well one's creativity. It can also be associated with power, creativity, spontaneity, and inventiveness.
- (Martial arts) a philosophy; when exercised, the power of the Void allows one to connect to the quintessential creative energy of the world. A martial arts practitioner, who is properly attuned into the 'Void', can sense their surroundings, the presences of others, and to act without thinking and without using their physical senses, via this mindstate of inner peace.
- 天空 (てんくう, tenkū): the heavens
- 空間 (くうかん, kūkan): three dimensional space
- 空間認識 (くうかんにんしき, kūkan-ninshiki): spatial awareness
- 無明 (むみょう, mumyō): no light
- 禅 or 禪 (ぜん, Zen): meditation, contemplation
- Five elements (Japanese philosophy) -- on Wikipedia