Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Fountain
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈfaʊn.tn̩/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈfaʊn.tn̩/, /faʊn.tɪn/, [ˈfãʊ̯̃(n)ʔn̩], [ˈfæ̃ʊ̯̃(n)ʔn̩]
Audio (US) (file)
fountain (plural fountains)
- (originally) A spring, natural source of water.
- An artificial, usually ornamental, water feature (usually in a garden or public place) consisting of one or more streams of water originating from a statue or other structure.
- The structure from which an artificial fountain can issue.
- A reservoir from which liquid can be drawn.
- A source, origin of a flow (e.g. of favors, of knowledge).
- A juggling pattern typically done with an even number of props where each prop is caught by the same hand that thows it.
- (heraldry) A roundel barry wavy argent and azure.
- (US) A soda fountain.
terms derived from fountain (noun)
spring — see spring
artificial water feature
structure from which a fountain issues
source, origin of a flow
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (intransitive) To flow or gush as if from a fountain.
- Lava fountained from the volcano.
- Tom Reamy, Blind Voices
- The fireflies swept toward him from all directions, in streams and rivers and currents of light, a vortex a hundred yards across, spiraling into the brighter center. They met over his supine body like ocean breakers, cascading, fountaining into the air.
to flow or gush as if from a fountain