Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) enPR: grēs, IPA(key): /ɡriːs/
- (US) enPR: grēs, grēz, IPA(key): /ɡriːs/, /ɡriːz/
- Rhymes: -iːs (UK, US)
- Rhymes: -iːz (US)
- Animal fat in a melted or soft state
- (extension) Any oily or fatty matter.
- Shorn but not yet cleansed wool
- Inflammation of a horse's heels, also known as scratches or pastern dermatitis.
Terms derived from grease (noun)
oily or fatty matter
- (transitive) To put grease or fat on something, especially in order to lubricate.
- (transitive, informal) To bribe.
- the greased advocate that grinds the poor
2008, Byron Archibald Dunn, With Lyon in Missouri:
- Then you remember we greased him to the tune of five hundred.
2009, Dan Richardson, GOG - an End Time Mystery:
- His employee status didn't entitle him to one, but Magdy on reception would slip him a key if Sabr greased him with a fifty.
- (transitive, slang, aviation) To perform a landing extraordinarily smoothly.
- To my amazement, I greased the landing despite the tricky crosswinds.
- (transitive, slang) To kill, murder.
- Fat cats who can't be greased by the mob's money are greased the hard way.
- (obsolete) To cheat or cozen; to overreach.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Beaumont and Fletcher to this entry?)
- To affect (a horse) with grease, the disease.
put grease or fat on something
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.