Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /mɒp/
- Rhymes: -ɒp
- (General American) IPA(key): /mɑp/
- Rhymes: -ɑp
Audio (US) (file)
mop (plural mops)
- An implement for washing floors, or the like, made of a piece of cloth, or a collection of thrums, or coarse yarn, fastened to a handle.
- (humorous) A dense head of hair.
- He ran a comb through his mop and hurried out the door.
- (UK, dialect) A fair where servants are hired.
- (UK, dialect) The young of any animal; also, a young girl; a moppet.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Halliwell to this entry?)
- A made-up face; a grimace.
- German: Mopp
implement for washing floors
head of hair
- (transitive) To rub, scrub, clean or wipe with a mop, or as if with a mop.
- (intransitive) To make a wry expression with the mouth.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Shakespeare to this entry?)
to rub, scrub, clean or wipe with a mop, or as if with a mop
- a mop (an implement for washing floors, etc.)