- KangXi: page 135, character 2
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 1803
- Dae Jaweon: page 300, character 28
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 1, page 306, character 19
- Unihan data for U+51F6
|Historical forms of the character 凶|
|Warring States||Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)||Liushutong (compiled in Ming)|
|Chu Slip and silk script||Small seal script||Transcribed ancient scripts|
Pictogram (象形) and/or Ideogram (指事)- with the '凵' component representing a hole in the ground and with the '㐅' component (if an ideogram) indicating the existence of a hole and/or (if a pictogram) representing rock, mud, stone or bamboo in the hole. Alternately, could be derived from the upper component of '㚇'.
|simp. and trad.
- inauspicious; bad luck; bad omen
- to have a famine due to crop failure
- 凶年 ― xiōngnián ― year of bad harvest and famine
- 河內凶，則移其民於河東，移其粟於河內；河東凶亦然。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: Mencius, circa 4th century BCE
- Hé nèi xiōng, zé yí qí mín yú hé dōng, yí qí sù yú hé nèi; hé dōng xiōng yì rán. [Pinyin]
- If the year be bad on the inside of the river, I remove as many of the people as I can to the east of the river, and convey grain to the country in the inside. When the year is bad on the east of the river, I act on the same plan.
河内凶，则移其民于河东，移其粟于河内；河东凶亦然。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
|For pronunciation and definitions of 凶 – see 兇 (“terrible; ferocious”).|
(This character, 凶, is the simplified and variant traditional form of 兇.)
- “Entry #592”, in 臺灣閩南語常用詞辭典 [Dictionary of Frequently-Used Taiwan Minnan] (in Chinese and Min Nan), Ministry of Education, R.O.C., 2011.
- 兇 (kyō)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text