Jump to navigation Jump to search
- KangXi: page 675, character 12
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 19149
- Dae Jaweon: page 1086, character 20
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 3, page 2213, character 5
- Unihan data for U+7136
|simp. and trad.
⿱犬一 (second-round simplified)
|Historical forms of the character 然|
|Warring States||Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)||Liushutong (compiled in Ming)|
|Bronze inscriptions||Small seal script||Transcribed ancient scripts|
Phono-semantic compound (形聲, *njen): phonetic 肰 (, *njen“dog meat”) + semantic 火 (“fire”) – to burn. Also ideogrammic compound (會意). The derivative 燃 () stands for the original word in Modern Chinese. *njen
- † Original form of 燃 (rán, “to burn”).
- 凡有四端於我者，知皆擴而充之矣，若火之始然，泉之始達。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: Mencius, circa 4th century BCE
- Fán yǒu sìduān yú wǒ zhě, zhī jiē kuò ér chōng zhī yǐ, ruò huǒ zhī shǐ rán, quán zhī shǐ dá. [Pinyin]
- Since all men have these four principles in themselves, let them know to give them all their development and completion, and the issue will be like that of fire which has begun to burn, or that of a spring which has begun to find vent.
凡有四端于我者，知皆扩而充之矣，若火之始然，泉之始达。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- † so; thus; in this manner; like this
- 然後 / 然后 ― ránhòu ― then [lit. after things turn out this way]
- 不然 ― bùrán ― or else, otherwise [lit. not so]
- 非然也。 [Classical Chinese] ― Fēi rán yě. [Pinyin] ― It is not so. / That is not how it is.
- 子曰：「何必高宗，古之人皆然。」 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: The Analects of Confucius, circa 475 – 221 BCE, translated based on James Legge's version
- Zǐ yuē: “Hé bì Gāozōng, gǔ zhī rén jiē rán.” [Pinyin]
- The Master said, "Why must Gao Zong be referred to as an example of this? The ancients were all like this.
子曰：“何必高宗，古之人皆然。” [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- † Suffix forming adverbs, sometimes also adjectives, with an abstract meaning of “in the manner of, like”.
- † but
- 然而 ― rán'ér ― but
- 吾不能早用子，今急而求子，是寡人之過也。然鄭亡，子亦有不利焉。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: Commentary of Zuo, circa 4th century BCE
- Wú bùnéng zǎo yòng zǐ, jīn jí ér qiú zǐ, shì guǎrén zhī guò yě. Rán Zhèng wáng, zǐ yì yǒu bùlì yān. [Pinyin]
- That I was not able to employ you earlier, and now beg your help in my straits, I acknowledge to be my fault. But if Zheng perish, you also will suffer loss.
吾不能早用子，今急而求子，是寡人之过也。然郑亡，子亦有不利焉。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- † correct; right
- 不以為然 / 不以为然 ― bùyǐwèirán ― to not regard as correct; to object
- † to regard as correct; to agree
Derived terms from 然
- suffix after nouns to express likeness
- and; and then
- so, be as it is
- and therefore
- however (as shikashi)
- a certain thing
- Go-on: ねん (nen, Jōyō)
- Kan-on: ぜん (zen, Jōyō)
- Kun: もえる (moeru, 然える); しかれども (shikaredomo, 然れども); しかして (shikashite, 然して)
|Kanji in this term|
- Indicates a state (no specific semantic content)
- Halpern, Jack: New Japanese-English Character Dictionary -Kenkyusha 1990
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text