Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA(key): /djuːk/, /dʒuːk/
- (US) IPA(key): /duːk/
Audio (UK) (file)
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -uːk
duke (plural dukes)
- The male ruler of a duchy (female equivalent: duchess).
- The sovereign of a small state.
- A high title of nobility; the male holder of a dukedom.
- A grand duke.
- (slang, chiefly in the plural) A fist.
- Put up your dukes!
male ruler of a duchy
male holder of a dukedom
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (transitive) To hit or beat with the fists.
- (slang, transitive) To give cash to; to give a tip to.
- I duked him twenty dollars.
- A particle which precedes a participle to form an gerundive adverbial phrase.
- duke kënduar — (while) singing, by singing
- to cut into a queue, without permission (intransitive); to cut into a queue in front of someone (transitive)
- "Oi, dinnae duke us!"