Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA: /ˈhɒv.ə(ɹ)/, X-SAMPA: /"hQv.@(r\)/
- Rhymes: -ɒvə(r)
- (US) IPA: /ˈhʌvɚ/, X-SAMPA: /"hVv@`/
- Rhymes: -ʌvə(r)
- To float in the air.
- The hummingbird hovered by the plant.
- To linger in one place.
- The strange man hovered outside the gents.
- This time, I hovered between Labour and Liberal Democrat.
- 1883, Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island
- The neighborhood, to our ears, seemed haunted by approaching footsteps; and what between the dead body of the captain on the parlor floor, and the thought of that detestable blind beggar hovering near at hand, and ready to return, there were moments when, as the saying goes, I jumped in my skin for terror.
- To waver, or be uncertain.
- (computing) To place the cursor over a hyperlink or icon without clicking.
- A tooltip appears when you hover over this link.
to float in the air
to linger in one place
to waver, or be uncertain
to place the cursor over a hyperlink