Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (phytopathology) any of many plant diseases causing damage to, or the death of, leaves, fruit or other parts
- the bacterium, virus or fungus that causes such a condition
- (by extension) anything that impedes growth or development or spoils any other aspect of life
Hyponyms of blight
agent of this disease
anything that impedes growth or spoils something
- (transitive) To affect with blight; to blast; to prevent the growth and fertility of.
- [This vapour] blasts vegetables, blights corn and fruit, and is sometimes injurious even to man.
- (intransitive) To suffer blight.
- This vine never blights.
- (transitive) to spoil or ruin (something)
- Those obscene tattoos are going to blight your job prospects.
- seared in heart and lone and blighted
- 1868, Anthony Trollope, He Knew He Was Right XI
- ‘I need hardly explain to you that if you persist in this refusal you and I cannot continue to live together as man and wife. All my hopes and prospects in life will be blighted by such a separation.’
to spoil or ruin (something)