Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Contraction of do not, negative auxiliary.
- The Police, "Don't Stand So Close to Me", Zenyatta Mondatta, A&M Records:
- Don't Stand, Don't stand so, Don't stand so close to me.
- (nonstandard) Contraction of does not.
1868, Louisa May Alcott, chapter 2, in Little Women:
- My mother knows old Mr. Laurence, but says he’s very proud and don’t like to mix with his neighbors.
- 1971, Carol King, “So Far Away”, Tapestry, Ode Records:
- I sure hope the road don’t come to own me.
2000, Eminem (music), “Stan”, in The Marshall Mathers LP:
- My girlfriend's jealous 'cause I talk about you twenty-four seven / But she don't know you like I know you, Slim, no one does / She don't know what it was like for people like us growing up / You gotta call me man, I'll be the biggest fan you'll ever lose
- (African American Vernacular) Used before an emphatic negative subject.
- Don’t nobody care.
- Stop!, Don't touch that!
don't (plural don'ts)
- Something that must not be done (usually in the phrase dos and don'ts).