warn; wellbackground; bottom; base; (possessive part.); (subor. part.) 's; him/her/it; this frog simp. and trad.
井 底 之 蛙 Literally: “a frog at the bottom of a well (who can only see a small part of the sky through the opening)”.
- 井鼃不可以語於海者，拘於虛也。 [Classical Chinese, trad.][▼ expand/hide]
- 井鼃不可以语于海者，拘于虚也。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- From: Zhuangzi, circa 3rd – 2nd centuries BCE
- Jǐngwā bù kě yǐ yù yú hǎi zhě, jū yú xū yě. [Pinyin]
- A frog in a well would not be able to put into words (the idea) of an ocean. (To the frog, the concept is) confined to the abstract.
- a person of very limited outlook and experience
- 汝乃井底之蛙，安知玄奧乎！ [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- 汝乃井底之蛙，安知玄奥乎！ [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- From: Romance of the Three Kingdoms, circa 14th century CE
- Rǔ nǎi jǐngdǐzhīwā, ān zhī xuán'ào hū! [Pinyin]
- You're (like) a frog at the bottom of a well (who can only see part of the sky), how would you know about anything that is profound!
- 可知我井底之蛙，成日家只說現在的這幾個人是有一無二的。 [Written Vernacular Chinese, trad.]
- 可知我井底之蛙，成日家只说现在的这几个人是有一无二的。 [Written Vernacular Chinese, simp.]
- From: Cao Xueqin, Dream of the Red Chamber, mid-18th century CE
- Kě zhī wǒ jǐngdǐzhīwā, chéngrì jiā zhǐ shuō xiànzài de zhè jǐge rén shì yǒuyīwú'èr de. [Pinyin]
- You can tell that I am a frog at the bottom of a well. All day long, we just talk about how these few people are so unique.