Jump to navigation Jump to search
warn; wellbackground; bottom; base; (possessive part.); (subor. part.) 's; him/her/it; this frog trad. (井底之蛙) 井 底 之 蛙 simp. #(井底之蛙) 井 底 之 蛙 Literally: “a frog at the bottom of a well (who can only see a small part of the sky through the opening)”.
- a person of very limited outlook and experience
- 汝乃井底之蛙，安知玄奧乎！ [Written Vernacular Chinese, trad.]
- From: Romance of the Three Kingdoms, circa 14th century CE
- Rǔ nǎi jǐngdǐzhīwā, ān zhī xuán'ào hū! [Pinyin]
- You're (like) a frog at the bottom of a well (who can only see part of the sky), how would you know about anything that is profound!
汝乃井底之蛙，安知玄奥乎！ [Written Vernacular Chinese, simp.]
- 可知我井底之蛙，成日家只說現在的這幾個人是有一無二的。 [Written Vernacular Chinese, trad.]
- From: Cao Xueqin, Dream of the Red Chamber, mid-18th century CE
- Kě zhī wǒ jǐngdǐzhīwā, chéngrìjia zhǐ shuō xiànzài de zhè jǐ ge rén shì yǒuyīwú'èr de. [Pinyin]
- [You] can tell that I am a frog at the bottom of a well; all day, all [I] talk about is that these several people are so unique.
可知我井底之蛙，成日家只说现在的这几个人是有一无二的。 [Written Vernacular Chinese, simp.]