芸 (radical 140 艸+4, 10 strokes, cangjie input 廿一一戈 (TMMI), four-corner 44731, composition ⿱艹云)
Note that the character has different meanings in simplified Chinese (simplification of 蕓) and modern Japanese (simplification of 藝).
- KangXi: page 1021, character 7
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 30741
- Dae Jaweon: page 1480, character 5
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 5, page 3178, character 4
- Unihan data for U+82B8
- Etymology 1 and 2
- Phono-semantic compound (形聲, OC *ɢun): semantic 艸 + phonetic 云 (OC *ɢun).
- Etymology 3
- Simplified from 蕓 (雲 → 云).
- Etymology 4
- Simplified from 藝 (elimination of 埶).
- † a type of vegetable
- † Alternative form of 耘 (yún, “to weed”).
- A surname.
- deep yellow (like dried plants)
|For pronunciation and definitions of 芸 – see 蕓.
(This character, 芸, is the simplified form of 蕓.)
|For pronunciation and definitions of 芸 – see 藝.
(This character, 芸, is a variant form of 藝.)
(grade 4 “Kyōiku” kanji, shinjitai kanji, kyūjitai form 藝)
- (derived from 藝) technique, art, craft, performance
- (derived from 蕓) rue, the herb
From Middle Chinese 藝 (ngjiejH, “art, skill”).
芸 (shinjitai kanji, kyūjitai kanji 藝, hiragana げい, rōmaji gei)
- art, craft, technique, performance
芸 • (un) (hangeul 운, revised un, McCune-Reischauer un, Yale wun)
- rue, herb used to keep insects away
- to cut grass or weeds
- talent, ability, craft
- performance, acting
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text