From Prometheus a Greek demigod and the son of the Titan Iapetus. Prometheus created man from clay and gifted him with fire, for which he was punished by Zeus who chained Prometheus to a rock in the Caucasus where a vulture came and daily fed on his liver. Prometheus means "forethought" in Greek, from pro- "before" + mathein "to learn."
- Of or pertaining to Prometheus.
- Daringly original; boldly inventive or creative.
- Of enormous size or strength; extraordinarily strong.
- (of a Romantic literary hero) Rebelling (or being a rebel) against a larger order; defying traditional moral categories; persecuted but dauntless.
Promethean (plural Prometheans)
- one who acts in a Promethean manner