Jump to navigation Jump to search
defender (plural defenders)
- someone who defends people or property
- (sports) one of the players whose primary task is to prevent the opposition from scoring
- a fighter who seeks to repel an attack
- (law, rare) a lawyer who represents defendants, especially a public defender; a defense attorney (US) or defence counsel (UK)
- 1822, Thomas Bayly Howell, A Complete Collection of State Trials and Proceedings for High Treason and Other Crimes and Misdemeanors from the Earliest Period to the Year 1783, page 729:
- There was another protection to which she was intitled by that law, namely, a defender; but she had none.
- 2007, Barry Krisberg, Susan Marchionna, & Christopher Baird, Continuing the Struggle for Justice, →ISBN, page 248:
- So, what is contemplated under this model is that the defender would work with civil legal services lawyers to address the clients' needs.
- 2010, Henry L. Hecht, Effective Depositions, →ISBN, page 243:
- It puts you at the head of the table, at a right angle to the witness; the court reporter sits to your right, and the defender sits on the witness's far side.
- (Scotland, law) a defendant in a civil action
someone who defends
public defender — see public defender
- to defend
Conjugation of defender
|es defendite||ha essite defendite|
|past||esseva defendite||habeva essite defendite|
|future||essera defendite||habera essite defendite|
|conditional||esserea defendite||haberea essite defendite|
defender (Latin spelling)
- to prohibit
- to defend (repel an attack)
- to defend (represent as a legal professional)
- (rhetoric) to defend
- to support (to back a cause, party etc.)
- (sports) to defend (to prevent the opponent from scoring)
- (sports, intransitive) to play in defense
- (higher education) to formally present a dissertation, thesis or project
- first-person singular (eu) personal infinitive of defender
- third-person singular (ele and ela, also used with você and others) personal infinitive of defender
- first-person singular (eu) future subjunctive of defender
- third-person singular (ele and ela, also used with você and others) future subjunctive of defender
Conjugation of the Portuguese -er verb defender
For quotations using this term, see Citations:defender.
- to defend (contra (“against”), de (“from”))
- Synonym: proteger
- to prohibit
- Synonym: prohibir
- to claim
- Rule: e becomes ie in stressed syllables.
- 1 Mostly obsolete form, now mainly used in legal jargon.
These forms are generated automatically and may not actually be used. Pronoun usage varies by region.