- Added to verbs to form words meaning a person or thing that is the object of that verb (ie, to whom or to which an action is done).
- Less commonly added to verbs to form words meaning a person or thing that is the subject of that verb (ie, who or that does an action), especially where a passive sense of the verb is implied.
- (law) Used to form words meaning a person who is the other party to a contract involving a person described by the corresponding word ending in -or
- (medicine) Used to form words meaning a person who has undergone a particular medical procedure
- Irregularly added to nouns to mean a person somehow associated with the object denoted by the noun.
The translation tables below are a guide only. See individual words formed using this suffix for more precise translations.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- Used to form diminutives.
The translation table below is a guide only. See individual words formed using this prefix for more precise translations.