Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- cancell (obsolete)
- (transitive) To cross out something with lines etc.
- A deed may be avoided by delivering it up to be cancelled; that is, to have lines drawn over it in the form of latticework or cancelli; the phrase is now used figuratively for any manner of obliterating or defacing it.
- (transitive) To invalidate or annul something.
- He cancelled his order on their website.
- 1914, Marjorie Benton Cooke, Bambi
- "I don't know what your agreement was, Herr Professor, but if it had money in it, cancel it. I want him to learn that lesson, too."
- (transitive) To mark something (such as a used postage stamp) so that it can't be reused.
- This machine cancels the letters that have a valid zip code.
- (transitive) To offset or equalize something.
- The corrective feedback mechanism cancels out the noise.
- (transitive, mathematics) To remove a common factor from both the numerator and denominator of a fraction, or from both sides of an equation.
- (transitive, media) To stop production of a programme.
- (printing, dated) To suppress or omit; to strike out, as matter in type.
- (obsolete) To shut out, as with a railing or with latticework; to exclude.
- cancelled from heaven
- (slang) To kill.
mark to prevent reuse
remove a common factor
printing, dated: suppress or omit
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
cancel (plural cancels)
- A cancellation (US); (nonstandard in some kinds of English).
- (obsolete) An enclosure; a boundary; a limit.
- Jeremy Taylor
- A prison is but a retirement, and opportunity of serious thoughts, to a person whose spirit […] desires no enlargement beyond the cancels of the body.
- Jeremy Taylor
- (printing) The suppression on striking out of matter in type, or of a printed page or pages.
printing: suppression on striking out of matter