- 1 English
- 2 Ewe
- 3 Lojban
- 4 Venetian
- 5 Vietnamese
This pronoun has been independently invented by several people. Don Rickter invented the pronoun xe in November 1971. It appeared in "UU World" (the Unitarian Universalist publication) on 1 May 1973. Mario Pei gave him credit on page 145 of his 1978 book, "Weasel Words".
- (nonstandard) they (singular). Gender-neutral third-person singular subject pronoun, coordinate with gendered pronouns he and she.
1993 September 14, Sinclair, Jim, “Re: Jim and Steve's snoring discussion”, bit.listserv.autism, Usenet:
- Telepathy would require that you share the other person's knowledge of xyr own mind, which in turn requires recognizing that xe is actually aware of what xe's thinking, which is incompatible with psychiatry.
2000 December 11, Curtin, Mary Ellen, “Silencing and ad hominem attacks”, alt.startrek.creative.erotica.moderated, Usenet:
- Since xe went to the trouble of re-posting, I figured it was about something of more than usual importance to hir... I wrote to EmGee privately and xe said yes, that was one of the things xe was talking about.
2002 March 3, von Mattell, Ken, “Re: Newbie...not quite sure yet...”, alt.suicide.holiday, Usenet:
- I mean, suppose there's someone who can't leave the house because xe's all tied up with counting tiles in the bathroom all day, and if xe manages to get done with that, there's the stove to check again and again ... you get the idea.
- Subject: xe
- Object: xem (or hir)
- Possessive: xyr or xir (or hir)
- Reflexive: xyrself or xirself (perhaps rarely xemself)
- To block – (To fill (something) so that it is not possible to pass) or (To prevent (something or someone) from passing).
- To catch – (act of catching a ball).
- To fill – (to make full).
- To seal – To prevent people or vehicles from crossing (something) or (To close securely to prevent leakage).
- swaps the fifth and first sumti of the selbri which follows
- indicates that the object of a preposition fills sumti x5 of the preposition's corresponding brivla
(classifier chiếc) xe
- bánh xe
- xe ba gác
- xe bán tải
- xe buýt
- xe cộ
- xe đạp
- xe điện
- xe điện ngầm
- xe goòng
- xe hơi
- xe lăn
- xe mô tô
- xe ô-tô
- xe tải
- xe tăng