履 (radical 44 尸+12, 15 strokes, cangjie input 尸竹人水 (SHOE), four-corner 77247, composition ⿸尸復)
- KangXi: page 303, character 41
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 7799
- Dae Jaweon: page 602, character 1
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 2, page 980, character 3
- Unihan data for U+5C65
Shuowen: Ideogrammic compound (會意): 尸 + 彳 (“step”) + 夊 (“foot”) + 舟 (“(shoe-shaped) boat”). Possibly phono-semantic (形聲), with 尸 (OC *hli) functioning as a phonetic component.
Bronze inscriptions: Ideogrammic compound (會意): 眉 + 頁 (“person with prominent head”) + 止 (“foot”) + 舟 (“shoe or (shoe-shaped) boat”).
Modern form is a compound of 尸 + 復 (“return”).
- shoe; footgear
- to tread on; to walk on
- to put on shoes
- to ascend the throne; to assume (a role)
- to experience; to undergo
- to fulfil; to implement; to carry out
- to carry out personally
- tenth hexagram of the I Ching
(common “Jōyō” kanji)
履 • (ri) (hangeul 리, revised ri, McCune-Reischauer ri)
- walk on
履 (giầy, giày, lí)
- to go