Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (vulgar, literally) Feces produced by a bull.
- Synonym: manure
- (vulgar, slang, usual sense) Statements that are false or exaggerated to impress or cheat the listener.
- Don't pay any attention to him. He talks a lot of bullshit.
- (vulgar, slang) Statements that are transparently or offensively false.
- That's total bullshit! I called your office and they said that you didn't come in!
- Fucking load of bullshit! You smashed his skull and dropped the F-bomb at him, and now you're claiming that he assaulted you?!
- (rhetoric) Statements that are intentionally misleading, whether true or not.
- (philosophy) Statements made without regard for their truth value.
- Synonym: nonsense
- 2005, Harry Frankfurt, On Bullshit:
- Respect for the truth and a concern for the truth are among the foundations for civilization. I was for a long time disturbed by the lack of respect for the truth that I observed... bullshit is one of the deformities of these values.
- 2010, BioWare, Mass Effect 2 (Science Fiction), Redwood City: Electronic Arts, →OCLC, PC, scene: After Collector Base: Final Battle:
- Illusive Man: Shepard, you're making a habit of costing me more than time and money.
Shepard: I'm sorry, I'm having trouble hearing you. I'm getting a lot of bullshit on this line.
- (vulgar, slang) Synonym of (in its sense of any stuff, especially when viewed negatively or with collegial vulgarity).
- These rules cover how to do your laundry, how to fold your shirts, how to shine your shoes... You know, all that bullshit.
- 1975, “Fight the Power (Part 1 & 2)”, in The Heat Is On, performed by The Isley Brothers:
- And when I rolled with the punches I got knocked on the ground
By all this bullshit going down
- (card games, possibly vulgar) A card game in which players try to discard their hands first, following rules that encourage bluffing, calling others' bluffs, and penalizing others by tricking them into inaccurate accusations.
- Anyone want to play a few hands of bullshit?
- (deceptive or exaggerated nonsense): See Thesaurus:nonsense
- (patently or offensively false nonsense): See Thesaurus:lie
- (abbreviation, nonsense generally): BS
- (card game): BS, cheat, I doubt it
- → Czech: bulšit
faeces of a bull
vulgar slang for deceptive or exaggerated nonsense — see also nonsense
vulgar slang for patently or offensively false statements — see also nonsense
- See also Thesaurus:nonsense
- (vulgar, slang) absurd, irrational, or nonsensical (Most often said of speech, information, or content.)
- That's the most bullshit excuse I've ever heard.
- They're bullshit jobs
- (transitive, intransitive, vulgar, slang) To tell lies, exaggerate; to mislead; to deceive.
- I think you're bullshitting. Let’s just call your office and see if you even came in.
- You’re bullshitting me. I called your office and you never even came in.
- (intransitive, vulgar, slang) To have casual conversation with no real point; to shoot the breeze.
- I will probably just go and bullshit with Joe for awhile.
- (intransitive, vulgar, slang) To come up with on the spot; to improvise.
- We just went on stage and bullshitted the whole concert because we didn't know any songs.
- (all senses): crap (Indian English)
tell lies, exaggerate
have casual conversation with no real point
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
expression of disbelief
bullshit f (uncountable)