喺 (radical 30 口+9, 12 strokes, cangjie input 口人竹火 (ROHF), composition ⿰口係)
- KangXi: not present, would follow page 201, character 12
- Hanyu Da Zidian: not present, would follow volume 1, page 657, character 2
- Unihan data for U+55BA
- be ...-ing; in the middle of doing something (indicating an action in progress)
- (located) in; at; within
- 喺架車入便 / 喺架车入便 [Cantonese] ― hai2 gaa3 ce1 jap6 bin6 [Jyutping] ― inside the car
- (temporal) in
- 喺2012 [Cantonese] ― hai2 2012 [Jyutping] ― in 2012
- (figuratively) within; in
- 喺中文 [Cantonese] ― hai2 zung1 man4 [Jyutping] ― within the Chinese language/in the Chinese language
- to exist; to be (located)
- 我而家喺香港。 [Guangzhou Cantonese, trad. and simp.]
- Ngo5 ji4 gaa1 hai2 hoeng1 gong2. [Jyutping]
- I am in Hong Kong now.
- Not to be confused with 係／系 (hai6, “to be”).
- While Mandarin 在 (zài) can be used by itself as a verb (他現在不在 "he is not here right now"), Cantonese must use 喺度 (佢依家唔喺度 "he is not here right now").