Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (electrodynamics) The fine structure constant.
- (classical mechanics) Represents angular acceleration.
- See Wikipedia article on angular acceleration for usage.
- (chemistry) Used in chemical nomenclature.
- α-lactam has a three-membered ring structure.
- (astronomy) Used to identify the brightest star in a constellation, for instance α-Centauri.
- (topology) Alexandroff compactification
- alpha (for names of this symbol in other language)
- Lower-case άλφα (álfa, “alpha”), the first letter of the modern Greek alphabet. Represents the open front unrounded vowel: /a/.
- Ancient Greek, however, did not distinguish between upper case and lower case. See Α (A) for details.
α! • (a!)