- Technically, -re is not a suffix or even a verb ending proper, as it is always part of a wider pattern in -dre, -ttre, -ire etc., and is only used as such for its practical aspect, as it groups verbs of very different conjugations, and several verbs of the third group do not end in -re.
- (case suffix) onto, on. Used to form the sublative case.
- szőnyeg (“carpet”) → tedd a szőnyegre - put it on the carpet
- (case suffix) Harmonic variants:
- -ra is added to back vowel words. Final -a changes to -á-.
- -re is added to front vowel words. Final -e changes to -é-.
From the Latin infinitive endings (-are, -ere, -ire). Used in Romanian with a verb to form the "long infinitive", which is a verbal noun. See also the short infinitive forms of Romanian verbs, -a, -ea, -e, and -i.
- attached to the ends of verb infinitives to form nouns, meaning the action or result of
Most verb infinitives simply add -re, but second conjugation verbs (those ending in -ea) drop the a before adding the suffix.
- plăcea becomes plăcere
- vedea becomes vedere
- Type 3
- cere becomes cerere
- fute becomes futere
- Type 4
- vorbi becomes vorbire
- iubi becomes iubire
- Forms the comparative degree of a few adjectives, most of which change their stem vowel (umlaut) when this happens.