(measure word); platform; stage; terrace; stand; support; desk; station; broadcasting station
Officially, no later than 1684 with the creation of Taiwan Prefecture (臺灣府). A phonetic transliteration of an ethnonym of a tribe in the southwest part of the island in the area of Anping, Tainan, recorded in Dutch records as "Tayowan" (and other variants), and in Chinese characters as "臺窩灣" (and variants 大員, 大圓, 臺員, 臺圓). A Dutch missionary referred to this group as Taiouwang no later than 1636.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): toi4 waan1
- Hakka (Sixian, PFS): Thòi-vàn / Thòi-vân
- Min Dong (BUC): Dài-uăng
- Min Nan
- Wu (Wiktionary): de ue (T3)
- Min Dong
- Min Nan
- Taiwan (island)
- (～省) Taiwan Province (administrative division in both Republic of China and People's Republic of China)
- (informal) Alternative term for 中華民國／中华民国 (Zhōnghuá Mínguó, “Republic of China (after 1949)”).
- Although use of the full traditional form 臺 is encouraged by the ROC Ministry of Education, the alternate traditional form 台 is now more commonly used in its place.
|Kanji in this term|
- Kyūjitai spelling of
|Hanja in this term|
|Hán tự in this word|
臺灣 (Đài Loan)