- KangXi: page 761, character 12
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 21814
- Dae Jaweon: page 1171, character 5
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 4, page 2538, character 4
- Unihan data for U+755C
|simp. and trad.
|Historical forms of the character 畜|
|Shang||Western Zhou||Warring States||Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)|
|Oracle bone script||Bronze inscriptions||Chu Slip and silk script||Small seal script|
“To raise; to rear (an animal)” (*–k) > “domesticated animal; livestock” (*–k–s, exopassive: “what has been raised”). The various pronunciations in Old and Middle Chinese have been confused or merged in many extant dialects.
Etymology unknown. Probably from Proto-Sino-Tibetan *hu (“to be born; birth; to rear”), and thus may be related to 好 (, “good; to like”) ( *qʰuːʔ, *qʰuːsMatisoff). Alternatively, from Proto-Sino-Tibetan *kruŋ (“to live; alive; to be born; to give birth; green; sprout”), whence Tibetan འཁྲུང ('khrung, “to be born; to arise; to sprout”) (Schuessler, 2007).
Zhengzhang (2015) relates Tibetan ལུག (lug, “sheep”) to this word; this would be parallel to 羊 (, “sheep”) ?~ *laŋ養 (, “to rear”) ( *laŋʔ, *laŋsSagart, 1999). In Sagart (1999), 畜 is related to 育 (, “to nourish”) and *luɡ鞠 (, “to rear”). *kuɡ, *kʰuɡ, *ɡuɡ
- to nourish; to raise; to rear
- to bring up; to nurture; to foster; to cultivate
- † to submit; to obey; to comply
- † to tolerate; to allow
- † to keep; to house; to collect
- † Alternative form of 蓄 (xù, “to store up; to accumulate”).
- † Alternative form of 慉 (xù, “to like”).
- (dialectal, of a smell) to irritate one's respiratory organs
- A surname.
- livestock; domesticated animal; farm animal
- 家畜 ― jiāchù ― domesticated animal
- creature; beast
- 畜生 ― chùshēng ― beast, brute
- domestic fowl and animals
- Go-on: ちく (chiku, Jōyō); きく (kiku)
- Kan-on: ちく (chiku, Jōyō); きく (kiku)
- Kun: たくわえる (takuwaeru, 畜える); やしなう (yashinau, 畜う); かう (kau, 畜う)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text
- Thiều Chửu : Hán Việt Tự Điển Hà Nội 1942
- Trần Văn Chánh: Từ Điển Hán Việt NXB Trẻ, Ho Chi Minh Ville, 1999
- Vũ Văn Kính: Đại Tự Điển Chữ Nôm, NXB Văn Nghệ, Ho Chi Minh Ville, 1999