|宮|| U+5BAE, 宮
CJK UNIFIED IDEOGRAPH-5BAE
宮 (radical 40, 宀+7, 10 strokes, cangjie input 十口竹口 (JRHR), four-corner 30606, composition ⿱宀呂)
- KangXi: page 285, character 16
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 7156
- Dae Jaweon: page 564, character 16
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): not present, would follow volume 2, page 936, character 4
- Unihan data for U+5BAE
Ideogrammic compound (會意): 宀 + 呂: many rooms under a roof (a palace).
- (architecture) palace
- (architecture, religion) temple
- (anatomy) abbreviation of 子宮 (womb; uterus)
- 宮頸 / 宫颈 ― gōngjǐng ― cervix
- (music) the first note of the Chinese pentatonic scale
- (historical law) castration as a punishment
- A surname.
In reference to temples, 宮 ("palace") is used for traditional deities considered to rank highly in the celestial bureaucracy, such as Mazu who was honored by the Qing dynasty as the "Queen of Heaven" after their successful invasion of Taiwan.
- (Chinese pentatonic scale) 宮, 商, 角, 徵, 羽
- (historical punishment): 五刑 (wǔxíng)
- 闕／阙 (què), 殿 (diàn), 宸 (chén)
(grade 3 “Kyōiku” kanji)
- a shrine; a palace
/mi1ya/ → /miya/
From Old Japanese. A compound of 神 or 御 (mi, “spiritual honorific”) + 屋 (ya, “house”).
宮 • (miya)
- (Shinto) the place where a god resides: a shrine
- (Buddhism) a temple holding a Buddhist statue
- the place where a ruler resides: a palace
- a member of the imperial family
宮 • (Miya)
- a surname
- an old name for a region in the Atsuta area of Nagoya, Aichi prefecture, where the Atsuta Shrine is located
From Middle Chinese 宮 (MC kɨuŋ, “dwelling; palace; note on a scale”). Compare modern Min Nan reading kiong.
宮 • (kyū) (historical kana きゆう)
- a palace
- (traditional music of China and Japan) the keynote or tonic of a musical scale, such as do in the do re mi scale notation of solfège
- Short for 宮刑: literally “palace punishment”, this consisted of castration for men and sequestration in the palace for women
- (astronomy, astrology) a zodiac sign or house, defined as one-twelfth of the circle of the ecliptic
- 黄道十二宮、 宝瓶宮
- ōdō jūni kyū, hōhei kyū
- the twelve signs of the zodiac, the house of Aquarius
- ^ 1988, 国語大辞典（新装版） (Kokugo Dai Jiten, Revised Edition) (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Shogakukan
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2006, 大辞林 (Daijirin), Third Edition (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Sanseidō, →ISBN
- ^ 1995, 大辞泉 (Daijisen) (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Shogakukan, →ISBN
- ^ 1997, 新明解国語辞典 (Shin Meikai Kokugo Jiten), Fifth Edition (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Sanseidō, →ISBN
- ^ 1998, NHK日本語発音アクセント辞典 (NHK Japanese Pronunciation Accent Dictionary) (in Japanese), Tōkyō: NHK, →ISBN
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Doi, Tadao (1603–1604) Hōyaku Nippo Jisho (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Iwanami Shoten, published 1980, →ISBN.
宮 (eumhun 집 궁 (jip gung))
- Hanja form? of 궁 (“house”).
宮 (eumhun 대궐 궁 (daegwol gung))
- Hanja form? of 궁 (“palace”).