Jump to navigation Jump to search
|I; me||country; state; nation|
- my country; our country; (usually) China or Taiwan
- 我國經典，未經整理，讀起來特別難，一般人往往望而生畏，結果是敬而遠之。 [MSC, trad.]
- From: 1942, 朱自清 (Zhu Ziqing), 經典常談
- Wǒguó jīngdiǎn, wèijīng zhěnglǐ, dú qǐlái tèbié nán, yībānrén wǎngwǎng wàng'érshēngwèi, jiéguǒ shì jìng'éryuǎnzhī. [Pinyin]
- Chinese classics are difficult to read uncollated. Ordinary people are often terrified by the sight of them, and prefer to remain at a respectful distance.
我国经典，未经整理，读起来特别难，一般人往往望而生畏，结果是敬而远之。 [MSC, simp.]
- Although literally "my/our country", 我國／我国 (wǒguó) should be used with care when the speaker and the audience do not necessarily share a national identity, or the speaker is not from a Chinese-speaking country, to avoid confusion. Usually translated as "China".
- When Literary Chinese was used in Korea or Vietnam, the word obviously referred to Korea or Vietnam.
|Hanja in this term|