Jump to navigation Jump to search
- KangXi: page 1347, character 5
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 41576
- Dae Jaweon: page 1848, character 25
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 6, page 4118, character 1
- Unihan data for U+9632
|simp. and trad.
- (literary, or in compounds) dam; embankment
- (obsolete) fortress; stronghold
- (obsolete) to dam; to block; to build an embankment
- to prevent; to guard against
- (literary, or in compounds) to defend; to safeguard
- 或從十五北防河，便至四十西營田。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: 8th century, 杜甫 (Du Fu), 《兵車行》 (The Army Wagons: A Ballad); translated by Stephen Owen
- Huò cóng shíwǔ běi fáng hé, biàn zhì sìshí xī yíngtián. [Pinyin]
- Some from the age of fifteen are north guarding the River, then as soon as they reach forty they work military settlements in the west.
或从十五北防河，便至四十西营田。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- (literary, or in compounds) matters pertaining to defense
- a surname
- (to prevent):
Synonyms of 防
- (to defend):
Synonyms of 防
Derived terms from 防
- Go-on: ぼう (bō, Jōyō)←ばう (bau, historical)
- Kan-on: ほう (hō)←はう (fau, historical)
- Kun: ふせぐ (fusegu, 防ぐ, Jōyō); つつみ (tsutsumi)
- dam, embankment
- 堤防 (teibō)
- prevent, anti-, -proof
- Hanja form? of 방 (“dam, embankment”).
- Hanja form? of 방 (“prevent, anti-, -proof”).
- Hanja form? of 방 (“defend”).
- 방어 (防禦, bang'eo, “defense”)
- 방수 (防水, bangsu, “waterproof”)
- 방음 (防音, bang'eum, “soundproof”)
- 방화 (防火, banghwa, “fireproof”)
- 방탄 (防彈, bangtan, “bulletproof”)
- 방범 (防犯, bangbeom, “prevention of crime”)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text