|歲|| U+6B72, 歲
CJK UNIFIED IDEOGRAPH-6B72
|歲|| U+2F8F3, 歲
CJK COMPATIBILITY IDEOGRAPH-2F8F3
歲 (radical 77, 止+9, 13 strokes, cangjie input 卜一戈竹竹 (YMIHH), four-corner 21253, composition ⿱止⿵戌𣥂)
- KangXi: page 577, character 2
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 16326
- Dae Jaweon: page 967, character 17
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 2, page 1443, character 20
- Unihan data for U+6B72
||*qʰʷaːds, *qʷrad, *qʷad
||*qʰʷaːds, *qʷaːds, *qʷads, *qʰʷaːd
Phono-semantic compound (形聲, OC *sqʰʷads, *sqʰʷad): semantic 步 + phonetic 戉 (OC *ɢʷad).
A derivative of 越 (OC *ɢʷad, “to pass over”) (Mei, 1979, 1992). Ultimately probably from Proto-Sino-Tibetan *grwat (“to travel; to go through”); compare Tibetan སྐྱོད (skyod, “to go”) (Mei, 1979, 1992; Gong, 2002; STEDT).
The functions of the *s- prefix and the *-s suffix are not clear. Possible explanations include:
Alternatively, it may be derived from a word like 圓 (OC *ɢon, “round; circle”) (< Proto-Sino-Tibetan *wal (“round; circular”)), literally "to start the circle/cycle again" (Schuessler, 2007).
Outside of Sino-Tibetan, this word has been compared to Thai ขวบ (kùuap, “year”), which Bodman (1980) considers to be a loan from Chinese, as well as Proto-Austronesian *kawaS (“year; season; sky”) (Sagart, 2005).
Also see Schuessler (2007) and Smith (2012) for a discussion on the semantic development of this word, especially the connection between "Jupiter" and "year".
- (literary) Jupiter (planet)
- Tai Sui, the god representing each of these years
- (literary) age
- (literary) time; period
- (literary) crop harvests of the year
- Classifier for time: year
- Classifier for age (of a person or animal): year old
- 你現在幾歲？ / 你现在几岁？ ― Nǐ xiànzài jǐ suì? ― How old are you now?
- 我十八歲。 / 我十八岁。 ― Wǒ shíbā suì. ― I am 18 years old.
- 一個十歲的女孩 / 一个十岁的女孩 ― yīge shí suì de nǚhái ― a ten-year-old girl
Ages in 歲 are traditionally reckoned using the Chinese lunar calendar, considered as 1 year old at the moment of birth and increasing not during birthdays, but at the Chinese New Year.
- 年 (nián, “year < harvest”)
- 年紀／年纪 (niánjì)
- 年齡／年龄 (niánlíng)
- →? Thai: ขวบ (kùuap, “year”)
- → Vietnamese: tuổi (歲, “age; year”)
(uncommon “Hyōgai” kanji)
- Alternative form of - 歳 (sai, “year (age counter)”)
- Alternative form of - 才 (sai, “year (age counter)”)
This character lacks JIS support and is not used in Japan. The character 歳 (U+6B73) is used instead.
歲 (eumhun 해 세 (hae se))
- Hanja form? of 세 (“age (counter); year (about age”).
歲 (tuế, tuổi)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text