- KangXi: page 492, character 5
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 13816
- Dae Jaweon: page 855, character 2
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 2, page 1488, character 11
- Unihan data for U+6614
|simp. and trad.
|alternative forms||㫺 ancient form|
𣊦 ancient form
𦠡 ancient form
|Historical forms of the character 昔|
|Shang||Western Zhou||Warring States||Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)||Liushutong (compiled in Ming)|
|Oracle bone script||Bronze inscriptions||Chu slip and silk script||Small seal script||Transcribed ancient scripts|
From Proto-Sino-Tibetan *s-r(j)ak (“night, full 24-hour day, spend the night”) (STEDT; Schuessler, 2007). Wang (1982) relates this to 夕 () and *ljaːɡ夜 (); however, see those two entries for more. *laːɡs
- former times; the past; long ago; ancient times
- 昔魯公殺一無罪宮女，遂致九年旱澇；景公怒殺宮妃，臺傾三里。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: 甄偉, 西漢通俗演義
- Xī Lǔ Gōng shā yī wúzuì gōngnǚ, suì zhì jiǔ nián hànlào; Jǐng Gōng nù shā gōngfēi, tái qīng sān lǐ. [Pinyin]
- In olden times, the Duke of Lu murdered a guiltless palace maid, thus resulting in nine years of drought and flood; the Duke of Jing murdered a palace concubine in anger, causing terraces to collapse by three li.
昔鲁公杀一无罪宫女，遂致九年旱涝；景公怒杀宫妃，台倾三里。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- † yesterday
- 疇昔之羊，子為政；今日之事，我為政。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: Commentary of Zuo, c. 4th century BCE, translation from Zuozhuan: Commentary on the "Spring and Autumn Annals" (2017), by Stephen Durrant, Wai-yee Li and David Schaberg
- Chóuxī zhī yáng, zǐ wéizhèng; jīnrì zhī shì, wǒ wéi zhèng. [Pinyin]
- With yesterday’s mutton, you were in charge, but in today’s affair, I am in charge.
畴昔之羊，子为政；今日之事，我为政。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- 未成乎心而有是非，是今日適越而昔至也。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: Zhuangzi, circa 3rd – 2nd centuries BCE
- Wèi chéng hū xīn ér yǒu shìfēi, shì jīnrì shì yuè ér xī zhì yě. [Pinyin]
- For one who has not this determined mind, to have his affirmations and negations is like the case described in the saying, 'He went to Yue to-day, and arrived at it yesterday.'
未成乎心而有是非，是今日适越而昔至也。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- † sunset; dusk
- † Alternative form of
- † Alternative form of
- 為一昔之期，襲梁及霍。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- Wèi yīxī zhī qī, xí Liáng jí Huò. [Pinyin]
- They made an overnight pact, and then mounted sneak attacks on Liang and Huo.
为一昔之期，袭梁及霍。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- a surname
- (Min Nan) Alternative form of
|Kanji in this term|
From Old Japanese. The muka portion derives from the 未然形 (mizenkei, “incomplete form”) of verb 向く (muku, “to face opposite to something”), implying “that which stands opposite from the present”. The shi portion is suffix し (shi) indicating direction, also found in words 縦し (tatashi, “the standing or vertical direction”), 横し (yokoshi, “the sideways or horizontal direction”). This appears to be a somewhat rare alternative form, more commonly encountered as さ (sa), and may be cognate with the nominalizing adjective ending さ (sa).
- once (in the indeterminate past)
- mukashi mita eiga
- a movie I once saw
- the past, old times
- 昔と今 ― mukashi to ima ― the past and the present
- 昔の自分 ― mukashi no jibun ― my past self
- 昔からの友達 ― mukashi kara no tomodachi ― a longtime friend (literally, “a friend since old times”)
- 昔に戻る ― mukashi ni modoru ― to return to the past
- 昔昔 (mukashi mukashi)
- ^ 1988, 国語大辞典（新装版） (Kokugo Dai Jiten, Revised Edition) (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Shogakukan
- ^ 2006, 大辞林 (Daijirin), Third Edition (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Sanseidō, →ISBN
- ^ Kōno, Tama (c. 970–999) Nihon Koten Bungaku Taikei 10: Utsubo Monogatari 1 (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Iwanami Shoten, published 1959, →ISBN.
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text