- 1 Translingual
- 2 Chinese
- 3 Japanese
- 4 Korean
- 5 Vietnamese
- KangXi: page 125, character 32
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 1415
- Dae Jaweon: page 266, character 18
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 1, page 102, character 1
- Unihan data for U+5165
|simp. and trad.
|Historical forms of the character 入|
|Shang||Western Zhou||Warring States||Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)||Liushutong (compiled in Ming)|
|Oracle bone script||Bronze inscriptions||Chu Slip and silk script||Small seal script||Transcribed ancient scripts|
Ideogram (指事) - an arrowhead indicating "to enter".
Compare 人 (rén).
From Proto-Sino-Tibetan *nup ~ nip. Cognate with Tibetan ནུབ (nub, “to fall (gradually), sink, to set; to decay, to decline”) and Burmese နိပ် (nip, “to decline (e.g. price); to be suppressed, to settle, to be quelled”).
Chinese characters belonging to the same word family include:
- 納 (, “to make enter”) *nuːb
- 內 (, “inside”) *nuːbs
- 軜 (, “reins on the inside of the horse”) *nuːb
- 妠 (, “to marry (a girl)”) *nuːms, *nuːb, *rnoːd
- and potentially Cantonese 擸 (laap3, “to bring together, to collect”)
The regular Mandarin pronunciation as predicted from Middle Chinese is rì. The irregular sound change is for taboo reasons - to avoid homophony with its derived vulgar meaning "to enter > to have sexual intercourse", nowadays represented by 日 (rì).
- to enter; to go into
- to join; to become a member of
- 加入 ― jiārù ― to join
- to accept; to admit
- to pay
- 收入 ― shōurù ― income
- to confirm; to agree
- to conform (to)
- to arrive (at); to attain
- to go to imperial court
- to invade
- (telephony) to get through
- Synonyms: 通 (tōng)
- (Cantonese) inside
- (dialectal Mandarin, dialectal Wu, vulgar) to fuck; to have sexual intercourse
- Short for 入聲／入声 (rùshēng, “the checked tone”).
- Go-on: にゅう (nyū, Jōyō)←にふ (nifu, historical)
- Kan-on: じゅう (jū)←じふ (zifu, historical)
- Kan’yō-on: じゅ (ju)
- Kun: いる (iru, 入る, Jōyō); いり (iri, 入り); いれる (ireru, 入れる, Jōyō); はいる (hairu, 入る, Jōyō)←はひる (fafiru, historical)
- Nanori: いり (iri); いる (iru); しお (shio); しほ (shiho); なり (nari)
入 • (ip)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text